It does matter what you call yourself. It sends out a signal of what you do and how you can be useful. By the offers I have been getting recently I have come to a conclusion that my current title (software developer or full-stack freelancer) has not been descriptive enough. The new offers have not matched up with what I have been doing for the existing clients.
What and how I do
- Solving problems by developing custom software.
- Develop in collaboration with the client.
- Providing services directly to the client.
- Working with multiple clients at once.
- Choosing my own clients and projects.
- Managing the development process.
- Working remotely or on-site.
- It is a full-time job and not a side business.
I believe this is the best described as a "Software Consultant". Lots of other titles are approriate in some aspect but are not more descriptive as they are too generic, too specific, or have negative connotations in some communities.